Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

You are here: Home Community New to Staunton

New to Staunton

Helpful Tips & Information about Staunton

Here are some things you need to know...

To go places.

To drive in Staunton.

To get connected.

To throw away your trash.

To recycle.

To have pets.

To register kids for school.

To get information on property.

To get informed.

To get emergency or medical help.

TIP: Check out the Staunton Visitor's Center in the New Street Garage.  Brochures and information are available for both tourists and residents.

To go places:

Main Street/ Beverley Street

  • Staunton's Victorian downtown is located along its "mainstreet," more formally known as Beverley Street

City Hall

  • 116 West Beverley Street - The three-story brick building
  • Parking is usually available on the street, and always available in the Johnson Street Parking Garage behind City Hall

Treasurer's Office, Commissioner of Revenue, Assessor's Office

  • First Floor, City Hall (From the front, on the right side of the lobby.

Finance Department, Building Inspection & Zoning, Engineering

  • Third Floor, City Hall

School Board Office

  • Second Floor, City Hall

Police Department

  • Basement, City Hall (Choose "B" on the City Hall elevators, or enter beside the stream off Central Avenue.)

Public Works

  • Off Churchville Ave.on Englewood Drive near the city limits.
  • Go west on Churchville Ave. past Gypsy Hill Park and the commercial area, and then watch for a Public Works sign on the right.  Turn at the sign, then turn left at the next sign.
  • Public Works provides information about water and sewer connections and the associated deposits that my be required as well as restoration of service following a cut-off for non-payment.

City Courthouse

  • 113 East Beverley Street, the end of Beverley opposite City Hall and closest to the Woodrow Wilson Birthplace.
  • The Clerk of the Court provides deeds, wills, marriage licenses, etc.  Note that birth and death certificates are held by the state only.

Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

  • Greenville Avenue (Rt.11) south, just past the Staunton Mall on the right heading south.
  • DMV phone - toll free Richmond - 1-866-368-5463


  • Augusta Medical Center
    78 Medical Center Dr.
    Fisherville, VA 22939-100

U.S. Post Office

  • 1430 North Augusta St. - Main Post Office
  • 123 West Frederick St. - Downtown branch.
  • Contact: 1-800-275-8777


To drive in Staunton:

  • You must register vehicle with DMV first.

You need a Virginia state Driver's License (if you are new to the state of Virginia)

  • Within 60 days of moving here, you must obtain a Virginia driver’s license.
  • If you hold a commercial driver’s license (CDL) you must obtain a Virginia CDL within 30 days.
  • If your license has been suspended or revoked by another state, a Virginia license may not be issued until your driving record in that state is cleared.
  • Your vehicle must meet Virginia emission inspection standards.
  • Your vehicle must meet Virginia insurance requirements.
  • Virginia law requires insurance coverage for all registered vehicles - OR you must pay $500 uninsured motor vehicle fee.
  • You must title your vehicle in Virginia within 30 days of moving to Virginia.
  • Register your vehicle and acquire license plates within 30 days.

Active Duty Member of the Armed Forces
You, your spouse and dependent children 16 yrs and 3 months of age or older may drive with a valid driver’s license and plates issued by your home state.  You may register your vehicle in Virginia without obtaining a Virginia driver’s license.

Out-of-state student
If you are enrolled as a full-time student in an accredited school in Virginia and not employed you may drive in Virginia with a valid out-of-state driver’s license and valid out-of-state plates.

If you are temporarily living in Virginia you may drive with your home state or county driver’s license and plates for no more than six months.

For more information contact the Staunton DMV office on Greenville Avenue (U.S., Rt. 11) South of town just past the Staunton Mall.  Or call toll free: 1-866-DMV-LINE (368-5463).

To get connected:

Water & Sewer Service

  • Water & sewer are provided by the City of Staunton.  Water is metered and sewer charges are based on water consumption and added to the water bill.  Billing is bi-monthly.
  • You can pay your water bill at the Utility Desk on the first floor of City Hall, by mail, online thru the City’s website or by phone.  Detailed instructions for phone or online payment are printed on your utility bill.
  • If you are a renter, you must go to the Public Works office to sign up for service.
  • If you own your property you may call Public Works at 332-3892 to sign up for service.


  • Supplied  and distributed by Dominion Virginia Power.
  • Contact (888-667-3000) for information on getting electric service.

Natural Gas

  • Supplied and distributed by Commonwealth Gas Services
  • Contact 1-800-543-8911 for more information
  • Emergency Service 1-800-544-5606


To throw away your trash:

  • You are automatically signed up for trash when you apply for water & sewer. Refuse fees will be added to your regular water and sewer bill.
  • Pickup is weekly on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday ( see map for your pickup day or call 332-3892). Refuse must be placed next to the street no later than 7 a.m. on the day of collection.
  • Containers may be no greater than 32 gallons or 60 lbs.  Plastic bags must be at least 1.5 mils in thickness.


To recycle:

Pickup is on the same day as your regular trash day and on Monday and Thursday in the downtown Central Business District. You will need to obtain recycle bins for recycling from Public Works.  There is a $25.00 service fee required, which will be refunded or credited to the customer’s account upon termination.  We accept plastic #1 - #7, steel and aluminum cans, glass and mixed paper (newspaper, magazines, corrugated and gray cardboard folded flat, books, and office paper).


To have pets:


Obtain Rabies Vaccination Certificate.  This should be signed and executed by a licensed veterinarian in accordance with the State Code.  A license is required of all dogs four months or older.  Licenses cost $10 and may be obtained at the Treasurer's office. You must present the Vaccination Certificate to obtain the license.  (first floor, City Hall)


Cats are required to wear a collar displaying a vaccination tag issued by a licensed veterinarian.


To get your children an education:

  • Register your child at the school he/she is to attend.
  • Contact the Staunton City School administrative office for more information at (540) 332-3920


To get information on city real estate:

  • To buy or rent property or a home in the city, check with local real estate companies (listing in the phone book) or track advertising in the local newspapers (The News Leader -, and the Waynesboro NewsVirginian -
  • Check out the city's GIS mapping service online for information about the owner of property that interests you and utilities in the area.
  • If you are buying a home in Staunton, check before you buy to see if it is in one of the City's Historic Districts.  There are special rules governing improvements and repairs to homes in Historic Districts and you should be aware of those rules before you buy.


To get informed:

First...  Start with the City

  • Cable Channel 14 - Government Access Channel
    Lots of information about meetings, events and programs...  A good way to keep track.
  • Internet
    This internet site and the city's companion visitor site ( offer you lots of information about city meetings, ordinances, rules, attractions, entertainment and more.

Staunton's Visitor Center

Visitor CenterThe city's visitor center offers a wealth of information about the city and the area, everything from attractions and shopping to maps and scenic areas. Located at 35 S New Street, downtown historic Staunton. google marker



  • WHSV-ABC (Channel 3), Harrisonburg (Staunton Bureau & Studio on Frederick Street)
  • WAZM-IND (Channel 25) Staunton. (From WAZT Channel 10, Woodstock)
  • WVPT-PBS (Channel 51), Harrisonburg -
  • WVIR-NBC (Channels 29,30 & 31), Charlottesville  -
  • Cable Service is provided locally by Comcast. For more information call: 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278)
  • Satellite service is also available through most electronics stores.  Check phone listings.

To receive emergency care:

 For any medical emergency or to report a fire or crime, call 911.
Other useful numbers:

  • Staunton Police Department Office Number : (540) 332-3842
  • Valley Community Service Board (mental illness, mental retardation): 887-3200
  • Augusta Medical Center Emergency Room: (540) 332-4444
  • Augusta Free Clinic - Medical & Dental help - (540) 332-5606
  • National Poison Center: 1-800-222-1222
  • National Suicide Crisis Hotline: 1-800-784-2433
  • Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-552-7096
  • AIDS Hotline: 1-800-533-4148
Document Actions
Personal tools
Log in