Personal Property Information
When assessing vehicles, we use the January National Auto Dealer's Association (N.A.D.A.) guide. When available, we use the retail value from this book. When that figure cannot be obtained, we then use a percent of cost. Our personal property tax rate is $2.75 per $100 of the assessed value.
Changes have been made by the Virginia General Assembly that will change the car tax relief program. These new changes mark an end to the relief program that has been in place for several years. The following are some of the ways it will affect citizens of the City of Staunton.
- The State of Virginia will establish a fixed amount to be paid to all localities for tax relief. Once this is established City of Staunton will receive the same amount of reimbursement for 2006 and future years.
- The proceeds from this reimbursement must be used to provide tax relief to the owners of qualifying vehicles.
- The Staunton City Council shall establish how the relief is to be distributed.
- As a result of this new program the benefits of the state relief will shrink over time since City of Staunton continues to grow and add vehicles eligible for the relief.
- For the year 2016 the PPTRA percentage will be 41%
- Tax bills are due by December 5 of the current year.
If you should have any further questions, please call our office at (540) 332-3829
Business Personal Property:
The City of Staunton levies a tax on tangible personal property employed in a trade or business (furniture, fixtures, equipment, machinery, tools, etc.). A list of fixed assets itemizing all property (including all fully depreciated items) must be submitted. This annual business personal property tax return must be filed with the Commissioner of the Revenue by May 1st.
First time filers can use the form below. If your business has filed a form before, a prior year asset list will be sent to you in late March.
The payment date of business tangible personal property tax is December 5th.