Shenandoah Valley Animal Services Center
Staunton Police Department Animal Release Policy:
1. There will be online photos to identify dogs (see below)
2. Citizens will pay fines at the Staunton Police Department
**we honor Augusta County Dog licenses and they honor ours
3. The owner must have a rabies certiciate or a receipt from the treasurer's office
4. per day charges are now $15.00
5. The ASC operates on Waynseboro City holidays
6. animals WILL NOT be released by patrol after hours unless the shelter will be closed for more than one day, i.e. Sundays and Holidays
7. Normally, after hours, when dispatch collects fees, they will advise the owner to go to the shelter the next day.
8. If an owner refuses to pay fees or provide documentation, they will be referred to an Animal Control Officer.
If you have a lost or missing pet, please check the Shenandoah Valley Animal Services Center website on a regular basis. Go to http://shenandoah.animalshelternet.com/ and use the Stray Search link. Photos and information are updated as animals are brought into the facility.
To have stray animals taken into care as needed, residents of the three localities will need to call their local Animal Control Services.
- Residents of Staunton should call: 540.332.3842
- Residents of Augusta County should call: 540.245.5635 For more information check www.co.augusta.va.us
- Residents of Waynesboro should call: 540.942.6701 For more information check www.waynesboro.va.us
Local animal control services will be available in Staunton and Waynesboro 24 hours a day 7 days a week to assist residents. In Augusta County only emergency calls will receive response after 7:00 pm – non-emergency calls will be responded to the next day.
If a resident of any locality desires to take an animal directly to the Shenandoah Valley Animal Services Center, they may do so between the hours of 11:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday and from 11:00 am until 6:30 pm on Wednesday. The SVASC is located at 1001 Mount Torrey Road, Lyndhurst, 540.943.5142,
The Shenandoah Valley Animal Services Center is reached from I-64 at Exit 96 and going south 3.8 miles on South Delphine Avenue; that turns into Mount Torrey Road – the Animal Service Center is on the right. You may also view a map at, http://g.co/maps/hpdb.
Shenandoah Valley Animal Services Center partners with many other pet services in the area to facilitate adoptions and rescues as well as pet health services including spaying & neutering. Please check with our Partners in Pet Services Page to find the services you may need.
Animals in the care of the Shenandoah Valley Animal Services Center that are not selected by the groups that facilitate adoptions will be offered for direct adoption at the Center. Check out the Adoptable Animals here.
The Shenandoah Valley Animal Services Center needs your support.
Donations of the following items would be of great help to the Center:
Laundry Detergent (any brand) for high efficiency washers
Newspapers (without inserts)
Blankets / Old Bedspreads
Canned Dog and Cat Food
KMR Canned Milk for Kittens
Purina Kitten Chow
Grooming brushes / Other grooming items
Adams Flea spray
Rugs / Carpet Remnants
Dog and Cat toys
Dog and Cat treats
Dog and Cat dry food
Stainless Steel Food Bowls
Call 540.943.5142 if you have any questions about supporting or donating to the S.V.A.S.C.