The Staunton Police Department is charged with the duty and privilege of protecting and serving all persons within our jurisdiction. We are committed to the prevention of crime; the protection of life and property; the preservation of peace and public order; and the safeguarding of Constitutional guarantees. It is only with the commitment to public cooperation that we can successfully carry out this mission.
The application process in inactive at the moment. We will be doing another process in the future.
The City of Staunton Police Department is seeking candidates for the position of Police Officer. This position is responsible for public safety, law enforcement, crime prevention; traffic control and accident investigation. Position requires HS diploma/GED, excellent verbal and written communication skills, customer service and the ability to analyze situations and adopt an effective course of action through thoughtful decision making. Successful candidates will possess the desire to solve problems by developing collaborative relationships with members of the community.
The hiring process can take approximately four to eight weeks and requires successful completion of employment application, written test, interview, background investigation, psychological evaluation and pre-employment physical.
A written test is required, and in order to be considered, each candidate must reserve a spot for the test by emailing email@example.com with your name and “Police Test” in the subject line AND complete a City of Staunton employment application.
Interested individuals who hold current certification as a Police Officer through the Commonwealth of VA may, but are not required to, take the written test, but must submit a completed employment application with a copy of certification(s) by the closing date of posting and will be required to successfully complete all other aspects of the hiring process. Starting salary: $34,270/yr (+) excellent benefits including a college incentive for those that qualify. EOE
Specialized Assignment Opportunities:
- Critical Incident Response Team
- Criminal Investigations Unit
- Drug Task Force Investigator
- Bike Patrol Officer
- Field Training Officer
- Hostage Negotiations Team
- K9 Officer
- Honor Guard
- School Resource Officer
- Tactical Support Team (Robot)
- Specialized Instructor Certifications
Why choose the Staunton Police Department?
- Excellent pay and benefit package, including health, life, and dental insurance, paid leave and holidays
- Educational incentive (additional $1,800/year for associate degree or higher)
- Comprehensive field training program
- Opportunities for advanced training
- Career development program, including Senior and Master police officer designations including pay incentives
- Progressive, employee-centered leadership
- Commitment to fair and impartial policing
- Internationally accredited agency
- Strong support from community
- Low cost of living