Refuse & Recycling
What you need to know
On April 24, 2008, Staunton City Council adopted a new and updated policy for the collection of refuse and recyclables within the city. The new policy brings a more methodical approach to these services, and makes some changes you should know about.
Here are some highlights.
- All refuse must be in metal or plastic containers on in bags of at least 1.5 mils thickness. All containers must be in good condition and have covers. Containers must not be filled such that tops will not fit snugly. All bags must be tied shut.
- Containers or bags may not exceed 60 pounds weight.
- Brush and bulky items may be tied into bundles that are less than 4 feet in any dimension and weigh less than 60 pounds.
- Containers or refuse that is put out or left out not in accord with this policy will be subject to a Special Collection. A city crew will be dispatched to your location to remove the refuse or containers and take them to the landfill. You will be billed for the cost of this service. The minimum charge for a Special Pickup in 2013 is $75.
- Recycling is collected on the same days as refuse outside the CBD, and on Mondays and Thursdays in the CBD. Containers and bins are subject to the same time limits as refuse containers.
- You may recycle mixed paper, (magazines, newspaper, phone books, hard and soft bound books, poster board, food container boxes, office paper, folders, envelopes and brochures), plastic (#1 - #7 only) including plastic caps, glass (clear, green & brown), metal lids, steel and aluminum cans. Please rinse out food containers, crush plastic and sort items into separate bins by material.
- The City Recycling Center is located in Gypsy Hill Park next to Lake Tams. It is open 7 days a week and accepts all items listed above.
If you live or have a business anywhere outside of the Central Business District downtown:
- Trash from homes and businesses is picked up one day a week. ( See map below)
- Trash should be put out after 10 PM the day before collection, but before 7 AM the day of collection. Containers must be removed from the curb no later than 11 AM collection day.
- Any time your collection day falls on a city holiday, your trash will be picked up Wednesday of the same week. If there are multiple holidays in a week, the collection schedule will be placed in local newspapers, on the Government Access Channel and on the city Internet site.
If you live or have a business in the Central Business District downtown:
- Your trash is picked up Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday each week. There is also a Saturday pickup only for restaurants and others classified as Heavy Commercial Customers.
- Trash should be put out after 10 p.m. the day before collection, but before 7 a.m. the day of collection. Containers must be removed from the curb no later than 10:30 a.m.
- When a city holiday falls on a collection day, please hold your refuse and recycling until the next regular collection day.
(click map image for interactive map)