Refuse & Recycling
What you need to know
On April 24, 2008, Staunton City Council adopted a new and updated policy for the collection of refuse and recyclables within the city. The new policy brings a more methodical approach to these services, and makes some changes you should know about.
The complete policy is available online here .
For the Recycling Rate Survey
Information on the city/county landfill is here.
Here are some highlights.
- In accordance with City Code, each customer shall pay a service fee of $25.00 for the use of three recycling bins issued by the city. When the account is closed, and bins are returned in reasonable condition, the fee of $25.00 shall be credited or refunded to the customer.
- All refuse must be in metal or plastic containers not to exceed 45 gallons or in bags of at least 1.5 mils thickness.
- All containers must be in good condition and have covers. Containers must not be filled such that tops will not fit snugly. All bags must be tied shut.
- Containers or bags may not exceed 60 pounds weight.
- Brush will be collected if branches are no more than one-inch in diameter and tied into four-foot-long bundles. Bundles must weight less than 60 pounds.
- Containers or refuse that is put out or left out not in accord with this policy will be subject to a Special Collection. A city crew will be dispatched to your location to remove the refuse or containers and take them to the landfill. You will be billed for the cost of this service. The minimum charge for a Special Pickup is $82.50.
- Recycling is collected on the same days as refuse outside the CBD, and on Mondays and Thursdays in the CBD. Containers and bins are subject to the same time limits as refuse containers.
- You may recycle mixed paper, (magazines, newspaper, phone books, hard and soft bound books, poster board, food container boxes, office paper, folders, envelopes and brochures), plastic (#1 - #7 only) including plastic caps, glass (clear, green & brown), metal lids, steel and aluminum cans. Please rinse out food containers, crush plastic and sort items into separate bins by material.
- The City Recycling Center is located in Gypsy Hill Park next to Lake Tams. It is open 7 days a week and accepts all items listed above.
If you live or have a business anywhere outside of the Central Business District downtown:
- Trash from homes and businesses is picked up one day a week. ( See map below)
- Trash should be put out after 10 PM the day before collection, but before 7 AM the day of collection. Containers must be removed from the curb no later than 11 AM collection day.
- Any time your collection day falls on a city holiday, your trash will be picked up Wednesday of the same week. If there are multiple holidays in a week, the collection schedule will be placed in local newspapers, on the Government Access Channel and on the city Internet site.
If you live or have a business in the Central Business District downtown:
- Your trash is picked up Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday each week. There is also a Saturday pickup only for restaurants and others classified as Heavy Commercial Customers.
- Containers should be placed curbside for pickup by 9 AM, but no earlier than dusk the night before, and removed from any public area before 3 PM.
- Recyclable Materials listed herein are collected on Mondays and Thursdays including cardboard. Please break down cardboard boxes and stack for pick up. Recycling containers should be placed out at the same time, in the same location as regular refuse and removed at the same time.
- When a city holiday falls on a collection day, please hold your refuse and recycling until the next regular collection day.
(click map image for interactive map)