Water & Sewer
- Leaks Can Cost You: Learn To Spot Them
- Think Before it Hits the Sink
- Water & Sewer Fees
- Payment of Bills
- New Service at Connected Site
- Ending Service at Connected Site
- Establishing a New Connection Where None Exists
- Penalty on Delinquent Accounts
- Cut-off for Failure to Pay
- Help Identifying Water Problems
- Stormwater Utility Fee
Water bills include charges for water, sewer, refuse, stormwater control and tax. The water and sewer portions of your bill are based on actual water consumption, measured in hundred cubic feet. Water is metered, and one hundred cubic feet is approximately 750 gallons. Customers are billed $2.90 per hundred cubic feet for water and $4.88 per hundred cubic feet for sewer. The minimum bi-monthly water and sewer bill is for 5 hundred cubic feet and is $41.80 (tax included).
The fee for residential refuse collection is $12 per month per residential unit. A stormwater utility fee is billed to the property owner. For more information on stormwater click here. Including the charge for refuse collection and stormwater, the minimum bi-monthly bill for a residential customer is $72.20. These fees were effective July 1, 2012.
Water Bills are due and payable by the "due date" shown on the front of the bill (30 days from the date the bill was mailed). Payments may be made:
- By Mail Make checks payable to City of Staunton Utilities and mail to:
City of StauntonP.O. Box 58Staunton, VA 24402-0058
- In Person at the Utility Desk at the back of the first floor lobby in City Hall, 116 West Beverley Street or at Public Works.
By Dropping payment in one of the City's 24-hour drop boxes. One is located on Central Avenue under the clock tower, the other is located at the Public Works Offices. Drop payments must be check or money order only.
By debit or credit card by phone or online. There is a convenience fee added by the service when using the phone method. No fees are charged for online payments. These payments should be made at least 24 hours prior to the due date. A link for online payment is - http ://www.ci.staunton.va.us/directory/departments-a-g/city-treasurer/paying-utilities.
All new customers are required to pay a $10.00 fee to have service established. In addition to this, a deposit of $100.00 is required for persons other than the property owner. This deposit is held to insure final settlement of the account. The deposit is applied to the final bill, and any remaining balance is refunded, without interest, when the account is closed.
An owner or tenant of property supplied with water may discontinue this service by calling the Water Office and asking them to discontinue service. The minimum charge will continue to be billed as long as the water remains connected, whether or not any water is consumed.
The City requires a deposit of $2,100 for water and $2,100 for sewer service connection prior to installation. This is a flat fee connection cost. Arrangements for these connections are scheduled through the Engineering Department. These deposit amounts are effective April28, 2006.
In addition to the connection fee, the City also requires an off-site facilities fee for water and sewer. This facilities fee is determined by the size of the water meter being installed. The off-site facilities fee for the average residential unit is $2,005 for water and $3,880 for sewer. Again, these fees must be paid in advance.
If any portion of a water bill remains unpaid on the date on which it becomes payable (30 days after the date of the bill), a penalty of ten (10) percent of the water charge, or $1.50, whichever is greater, is added to the bill. The customer is notified in writing of this penalty and told the date payment must be made to avoid disconnection of service.
- If any water bill remains unpaid for forty (40) days after the date of the bill, water service will be cut-off and will not be turned on again until both the water bill and a $30 reconnection charge are paid.
- If the water bill and reconnection fee are paid before 3:00 p.m., service may be restored the same day. After 3:00 p.m., water will be connected the next business day. No after hour service is provided.
- All customers wishing to restore service following a cut-off must go to the Water Office, located at Public Works (west on Churchville Avenue, right on Englewood Drive, follow signs). Call 332-3860 for information.
The Water Office is committed to providing each customer with efficient and friendly service. It is located at Public Works (West on Churchville Avenue, right on Englewood Drive, follow signs). Should you have a question regarding your bill or about a possible adjustment, please contact our office at 332-3860 during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday).
Drastic increases in a water bill can indicate possible plumbing problems. If you are concerned about an increase in your bill, the Water Office might be able to help you locate the problem. While City personnel can't make any repairs in your home, just knowing the problem can help you get prompt service in fixing it. In some cases, a water leak may even qualify for an adjustment to your bill.