For a pdf map of the park, click here.
Montgomery Hall Park is located just south of Stuart Street off Montgomery Avenue in the southwest portion of the City, Montgomery Hall Park's 148 acres include rolling hills, quiet woodlands, sports fields, playgrounds, picnic shelters, trails, and a public swimming pool. The Department of Parks & Recreation has its offices there. The soccer fields can be accessed by turning left just after entering the second park entrance and proceeding towards the picnic area. About halfway there, the road turns to the right and the fields will be visible to the left.
Barbecuing Areas, Softball Fields, Basketball Courts, Bathrooms, Disc Golf Course, Horseshoes, Picnic Shelters, Nature Hiking Trails, Mountain Bike Trails, Playgrounds, Soccer Fields, Tennis Courts, Pickle Ball Courts, and Swimming Pool
New Regulation for the Hill-top Picnic Shelter
The picnic shelters at the top of the hill are available for public use. However, if you wish to use the shelters after 8:30pm, you must ask for a permit. Permits are available from the Recreation Office in the park weekdays from 8:30am until 5 pm. There is no charge.
Irene Givens Administration Building
P.O. Box 58
Staunton, VA 24401-0058
-Parks & Recreation Administration Offices
-Activity Room, Conference Room and Kitchen available for
public use and weekend rentals
In 1820 a distinguished criminal lawyer named John Howe Peyton built a large mansion on several hundred acres southwest of Staunton. This estate was named Montgomery Hall in honor of Peyton's second wife Ann Montgomery Lewis, who was the great-granddaughter of the founder of Staunton, John Lewis. It was the biggest home in Augusta County in 1829. After Peyton's death in 1847, the property passed from his heirs and changed hands many times.
In 1920 the grounds included four hundred and twelve acres and an orchard of four thousand apple trees. In addition, there was a bowling alley and a gymnasium which was one of several private sporting facilities in Virginia. In 1946 the City of Staunton acquired the Montgomery Hall property for the sum of $42,000. Through the 1950's and 60's Montgomery Hall Park was one of only two African American parks in all of VA. In 1948 the City of Staunton received notice that the late Miss Elizabeth G. Catlett had left the sum of $10,000.00 in her will, to be used by the city for the purpose of constructing a swimming pool in Montgomery Hall Park. The pool was constructed and dedicated in 1948. The pool was renovated again in 1990. In 1975 the City of Staunton authorized expenditures for restroom facilities, fencing, playground equipment, outdoor grills and improvements to the ball fields. In June of 1976, a grant was secured in the amount of $413,600 through the Commission of Outdoor Recreation for new construction and development of the park. In 2002 the members of the Staunton City Council officially dedicated the Montgomery Hall park Administration Building in honor of Mrs. Irene Givens who had dedicated over 25 years of service to the park and its programs prior to 1970. In 2005 additions to the park included a lighted soccer complex, the only one of its kind in the area, as well as the unveiling of the Kiwanis Disc Golf Course. In 2006 the first Montgomery Hall Park LAWN PARTY celebrated the 60th anniversary of the park, showcased this unique and magnificent space, offering citizens and neighbors of all races, cultures, religions, the opportunity to spend time together enjoying wonderful music, activities and food. The NEW $90,000 playground was installed on the main lawn, replacing the former playground. In 2008 a new group of mountain bike trails were developed in the park.
Driving Directions and Map Link
From the NORTH or SOUTH
Take Interstate 81 to exit 220 just south of Staunton. Head west on 262 approximately two miles and exit on Middlebrook Avenue. Turn right on Middlebrook Avenue and travel approximately ½ mile and turn left onto Lacy B. King Way, stay on this road until it ends at Montgomery Avenue. Turn right onto Montgomery Ave. Montgomery Hall Park will be on the left, take 2nd (main) entrance into the park.
From the EAST
Take Interstate 64 to Staunton, then exit south on Interstate 81 to exit 220. Head west on 262 approximately two miles and exit on Middlebrook Avenue. Turn right on Middlebrook Avenue and travel approximately ½ mile and turn left onto Lacy B. King Way, stay on this road until it ends at Montgomery Avenue. Turn right onto Montgomery Ave. Montgomery Hall Park will be on the left, take 2nd (main) entrance into the park.
From the WEST
Take Route 250 west to Staunton, turn right (South) on Grubert Avenue. At the T-intersection (near Big Lots) turn left onto West Beverly Street. Travel approximately two and a half miles past Thornrose Cemetery on the left and then turn right on Montgomery Avenue. Continue about one mile south on Montgomery Avenue until you reach the park.